Part 1 of the Assignment:
- First, describe how information is transmitted through the nervous system. Starting with the dendrites, how does the signal from the previous neuron enter the neuron? How is it integrated? How is information transmitted from the cell body to the presynaptic terminal? How does information leave one neuron to carry the signal to the next neuron?
- Then, identify and explain the neurobiology (anatomy and physiology) of a Stroke. What parts of the brain are affected by your assigned injury or trauma? What are the potential manifestations of the trauma based on the location of the injury or trauma?
Part 2 of the Assignment:
- Summarize the article attached: “The effects of Nintendo Wii™-based balance and upper extremity training on activities of daily living and quality of life in patients with sub-acute stroke: a randomized controlled study”
- Provide enough detail that your reader can understand the article and talk about it to someone else, similar to what you saw in the articles from BioPsychology.com in this week’s Discussion. What did the researchers do in their study? Were they attempting to understand the neurobiology of the condition, measuring the recovery of function after the injury, or testing out a new treatment?
- Explain how the article you read extends your knowledge of this topic from what was described in the textbook.
References that must be used:
- The attached PDF article: “The effects of Nintendo Wii™-based balance and upper extremity training on activities of daily living and quality of life in patients with sub-acute stroke: a randomized controlled study”
- Course Text: Garrett, B., & Hough, G. (2018). Brain and behavior: An introduction to behavioral neuroscience (5th ed.). Los Angeles, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Chapter 2, “Communication Within the Nervous System”
- Chapter 3, “The Organization and Functions of the Nervous System”
- Chapter 4, “The Methods and Ethics of Research”