What technology do you find most beneficial to use in your work or school setting? Least beneficial? Why do you find this tool useful or not? Then, using your imagination, look to the future and think about how this tool could be enhanced even further. Describe your dream technology, with consideration for patient care and safety.
Most, if not everyone, has had experience with a technology-based tool that you found beneficial in work or school. Why was it beneficial? If it was not beneficial, please explain. Now picture this tool, or a new one, for future use. How would this look? Use your imagination and incorporate how nursing informatics would play a role in this future tool. Utilize the Quality and Safety Education in Nursing (QSEN) website for informatics and explain how this organization could standardize your future tool.
- Describe patient-care technologies as appropriate to address the needs of a diverse patient population.
- Analyze data from all relevant sources, including technology, to inform the delivery of care.
- Define standardized terminology that reflects nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes.
- Investigate safeguards and decision-making support tools embedded in patient care technologies and information systems to support a safe practice environment for both patients and healthcare workers.
- Identify patient care technologies, information systems, and communication devices that support nursing practice.
- Examine the use of information systems to document interventions related to achieving nurse-sensitive outcomes.
- Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in delivery of nursing care.